The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE), formally the Writing Center, is housed in Wilkinson Building. The ACE is designed to provide 21st Century engagement for students based on direct supplemental instruction and interaction with faculty in identified courses, rather than the usual model which relies on students to self-identify and find their way to the centers.
Features of the ACE include:
- Operational hours that optimize student engagement beyond traditional hours when most Millennial, Generation Y, and Generation Z students are prone to study.
- Supplemental Instruction (SI) delivered by peer tutors, faculty facilitators, and online support programs.
- Academic Success Series, a series of academic support strategies through face-to-face sessions, short webinars, and individual and small group meetings (e.g. How to Study for College Courses; How to Maximize Notetaking; Effective College Reading, and others)
- Living and Learning Tutorials based on Supplemental Instruction and Academic Success Series established in each residence hall
- Off-Campus Instructional Site support to include: Academic Success Series, face-to-face sessions, short webinars, and individual and small group meetings
The ACE makes use of the following to assist students in their college success:
- Learning Express from the LibGuides in study sessions
- Criterion Software for Writing
- MyFoundations software enhancement modules
- Khan Academy accounts
- Specialized computer-assisted instruction to assess and improve academic skills in reading, spelling, grammar, writing, vocabulary, mathematics, and study skills.
- Individualized computer-aided instruction and supplemental instructional modules in basic skills and other selected courses.
Request An On-Campus Consultation
Not sure where to begin? Let one of our consultants get you started on the right path.